Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Last year at this time....



we were in Hanoi, biding our time until we flew to Danang on April 3. We had met two of the three families we were traveling with, and also two families in the travel group ahead of ours.

We spent the day walking around West Lake and visited the Tran Quoc Pagoda, and we went to dinner at Bobby Chinn's with two of the other families. We joked that it was like a last supper for us - as a childless couple, that is.











Offerings of money and fresh fruit to Buddha. This picture always reminds me of the book Stealing Buddha's Dinner - a very good read.







There was something very peaceful and calming about West Lake and the pagoda. I remember watching this guy fish - and it sounds silly now, but I thought, wow, I'm in Vietnam. And I'm going to be a mom tomorrow. How did this happen? How did we get here? And that guy is just fishing - doesn't he know how important this moment is in our lives? See, it does sound silly, but I was so wrapped up in my own anticipation and nervousness, that I failed to take in a lot of the surroundings and beauty of the country.

No comments: